Guppy Fish - The Best Aquarium Pet

Guppies, guppies, guppies!

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Epidemic in my main tank!

NarutoDude
Site Owner

In the last 3 days, half of the guppies in my main tank died of an unknown disease. Now I only have 2 of my snakeskin guppies left (both males:(). I'm planning to restart my tank and then buy a batch of snakeskin fries from ebay or aquabid.

The water was green and cloudy starting 2 weeks ago. I thought it was just harmless algae, but it turns out it was harmful.

--

February 8, 2010 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Baez, Jr.

GuppyPro, what is the process of restarting the tank?

What do you do to it to make sure that the new Goppies are safe?

This is something I have never done, restarting a tank. I hear other people say it, but honestly don't know.

I have had situations where I lose all my fish in a tank. I just do a 100% water change, throw in the dechlorinator, and add new fish.

I there anything else I should be doing?

--

Chris Baez, Jr.

February 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NarutoDude
Site Owner

What I did is almost exactly what you did. Except I leave about 1cm of water in the tank because I have a ton of cherry shrimps in my tank that I couldn't catch:dry:.

I heard you have to cycle your tank again for a month. You should also start off by adding starter fishes. But since my tank already has bacterias on the glass and ornaments, I doubt it's neccessary.

--

February 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Baez, Jr.

I agree. Also the filter media holds bacteria. So I guess I'm doing the right thing.

--

Chris Baez, Jr.

February 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.